We know that a healthy digestive system is an important part of the human body. The changing lifestyles and food habits affect the well-being of the digestive system.
There are lots of elements that control the digestive system. The gut microbiome is one of the factors which controls healthy digestion.
Role Of Gut Microbiome In Nutrition And Health
The gut microbiome is one of the fields which is continuously studied by researchers. They help in digestive health. In addition, they maintain a healthy gut and stay against certain disease-causing bacteria.
In this article, we are discussing some important facts about the microbiome and give some tips to maintain a healthy gut microbiome.
What is Gut Microbiome?
Multiple types of research found that there are trillions of bacterial cells than the human cells. These bacterial cells help the body in several ways.
There is millions of microorganism in your body including bacteria, fungi, viruses, and more. It is called the microbiome.
The gut microbiome includes trillions of bacteria and more. These gut microbiomes communicate with the intestinal cells and provide healthy digestion.
It also helps to digest certain foods which are not digested by human enzymes. In addition, it helps to prevent some bad bacteria in your intestine.
Healthy Gut microbiome
There are good and bad bacteria in the microbiome. Good bacteria are the reason behind healthy digestion. So the certain amount of good bacteria means the equilibrium.
That is, a healthy balance of good bacteria helps to maintain good digestion, a healthy heart, and a healthy human body.
The bad bacteria in the intestine cause several diseases and be aware of that situation.
How does the gut microbiome help in digestion?
The gut microbiome helps to break down foods in the intestine and absorb nutrients in it. There are trillions of microbiomes and it helps digestion. Digestion is an important part of the body so the microbiome plays a good work for the body.
The gut microbiome gives nutrients by digesting food. The food may be indigestible by human enzymes. It also generates energy and metabolites the foods for the nutritional benefits of your body.
How can you improve the health of the gut microbiome?
- Eat variety foods: There are different types of the microbiome in your gut. So, they want different types of nutrients to exist. Eating a variety of foods can provide various nutrients and improve the health of each gut microbiome.
- Eat fermented foods: The food which undergoes fermentation means the sugar content in the food is broken down by yeast or bacteria. Fermented food such as yogurt, kimchi, tempeh, and kefir contains healthy bacteria, mainly Lactobacilli which prevent the growth of bad bacteria in the gut.
- Control the intake of artificial sweeteners: Artificial sweeteners may reduce the number of healthy bacterial cells and increase the bad bacteria. It will boost blood sugar and cause various health issues.
- Eat prebiotic foods: Eating prebiotic foods can improve the number of bacteria. It is a type of fiber that includes bananas oats and apples.
- Try a vegetarian diet: Vegetarian diet can improve the number of good bacteria found in the gut. Avoiding the nonveg can cause a reduction of bad bacteria in the intestine.
- Breastfeed for at least 6months: Breast milk can affect the number of good bacteria in your intestine. So, it is necessary to breastfeed for at least 6 months to stay healthy.
- Eat whole grains: Eating whole grains provides lots of fiber and carbohydrates and it gradually leads to a healthy gut microbiome.
- Get enough sleep: A restful sleep can improve health digestion and the gut microbiome.
- Avoid stress: Avoiding stress is another step to reduce the bad bacteria in the intestine.
- Take antibiotics: Consuming antibiotics can increase the gut microbiome. But, only take antibiotics if it is a medical necessity.
The gut microbiome helps in healthy digestion and this article gives you an overall idea about the gut microbiome and the tips to maintain good bacteria.
Digestion is an important function in the human body. Without proper digestion, we can not live peacefully. So, it is our duty to do the things which ease our digestion.
Hope this article gives you some points to maintain a healthy gut microbiome. Try out the tips mentioned in this article.