Your body and life change as you get older, and so do the things you need to keep yourself healthy. Your dietary requirements, appetite, and eating habits can all alter in several ways. Unfortunately, most elderly people ignore the need to accept lifestyle changes and suffer from various health issues. To stay healthy, following proper nutritional guidelines will be helpful.
Importance Of Diet Plan For Elderly People
As you grow old, it becomes more important to keep a check on your diet and nutritional requirements. This is because your daily requirements and habits change. When you age, the need for calories may reduce to control weight, many lose appetite, are exposed to serious health issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc and these make it necessary to take medicines and other treatments. There will also be significant problems with your oral health, immune system, and other metabolic processes.
All you need to do is maintain a balanced diet that is sure to improve your health. A well-balanced diet will keep your energy levels high, maintain a healthy weight, and provide essential nutrients. Also, the risk of various chronic illnesses comes down.
So, include in your diet food items rich in nutrients, fibers, vitamins, and minerals. Try to avoid food items with high-fat content, refined sugars, and salt.
How Can You Stay Healthy?
- Make sure to have nutrient-rich foods that provide all the necessary nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and fibers. Consume more vegetables, fruits, lentils, beans, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, nuts and seeds, and lean protein. You can follow the plate method to acquire all these in the right amounts.
- If you like to have convenience foods, try more healthy ones. Consume bagged salads, oatmeal, low-sodium canned vegetables, low-sugar canned fruits, etc. before purchasing, always check the labels of these food packages.
- Try taking supplements such as a vitamin or mineral supplement if necessary. Take your doctor’s opinion before including any supplement in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
- Along with a nutritious diet, exercise well to maintain fitness. Find a convenient time in your day and exercise for half-an-hour everyday. This can energize you and improve your health.
- Limit alcohol intake. Drink only 1 to 2 drinks a day.
As mentioned above the simplest way to maintain your health is through a healthy diet. So, let us see what all should be included in your diet to stay strong and healthy.
How Much Should Be Included On Your Plate?
Having a nutritious diet that too in the right proportions is always good. Consider having the following servings:
- Vegetables- The standard serving amount is 75 gms.
- Fruits- The serving size is 150 gms
- Fish, tofu, nuts and seeds, and legumes/beans, lean meats, and poultry- The required amount is around 65 gms.
- Milk, yogurt, and cheese- a glass of milk, ¾ cup of yogurt.
The doctor-recommended method to consume the right amount of nutrients and minerals is the plate method. This is proven to be beneficial for people of all ages.
As you get old, it is necessary to maintain a balanced diet and lifestyle to stay healthy and energetic. Try to consume nutritious food items and avoid processed food items. Also, exercise well and have ample rest. Staying active can seem difficult at times. So, make considerable changes in your way of living and experience the benefits.