There are many people that are trying to avoid refined sugar for one reason or another. Some do it because they want to lose weight, others do it because of the health risks. However you slice it, there are a lot of alternatives out there that can replace refined sugar in your diet. In this article, we will explore the best alternatives to refined sugar.
Why Is Replacing Refined Sugar Necessary?
Refined sugar has been processed to the point where all of the nutrients have been stripped away. It is nothing more than empty calories that can lead to weight gain and other health problems. Alternatives to refined sugar are packed with nutrients and can actually help improve your health.
What are the Alternatives to Refined Sugar?
There are Alternatives to refined sugar that can be used in a variety of recipes. Some of these replacements include:
- Agave nectar is made from the agave plant and has a sweeter taste than table sugar, but it contains fewer calories per tablespoon. It also does not cause blood glucose levels to spike as much as processed sugars.
- Honey is a type of natural sweetener derived from flowers. It does not cause blood glucose spikes that processed sugars do. It has antioxidants and other nutrients that are beneficial to your health.
- Maple syrup is made from the sap of maple trees. It is high in minerals like zinc, manganese, and potassium.
- Coconut sugar is made from the sap of coconut palms. It contains a lot of nutrients and is a healthier alternative to refined sugar.
- Dates are high in fiber, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and iron. They have a natural sweetness that can be used as an alternative to refined sugar or sweetener in recipes like low-calorie ice cream.
- Stevia is a plant-based sweetener that is calorie-free and does not raise blood sugar levels. It can be used as an alternative to refined sugar in recipes or added to beverages like tea or coffee.
- Sugar alcohols like erythritol and xylitol are alternatives to refined sugar that have a lower glycemic index. This means they do not cause blood sugar levels to spike as much as other sweeteners. They can be used in recipes or added to food like yogurt.
- Allulose is a low-calorie sugar that is not absorbed by the body and therefore does not cause blood glucose levels to rise. It can be used as an alternative to refined sugar in recipes or beverages like smoothies, coffee drinks, and yogurt.
- Monk fruit sweetener is 300 times sweeter than table sugar but does not contain any calories. It can be used in both sweet and savory dishes or added to beverages like tea or coffee.
- Yacon syrup is extracted from the yacon plant. It has a natural sweetness and also contains antioxidants, potassium, and calcium. This can be used as an alternative to refined sugar in both sweet and savory dishes.
- Apple sauce and other fruit purees can be used as alternatives to refined sugar in baking recipes. They are packed with nutrients and fiber and add moisture to baked goods.
- Molasses is a syrup-like substance that is made from the juice of sugar cane. It is high in minerals like magnesium, potassium, and iron.
The benefits of these replacements include a low glycemic index, lower caloric intake & no added sugars or artificial sweeteners. Thus, various health issues can be prevented.
There are many healthy alternatives to refined sugar that can be used in a variety of recipes. Whether you are looking for a healthier option or just want something different, there is sure to be an alternative to refined sugar for you. Some of the best replacements for refined sugar are honey, molasses, maple syrup, coconut sugar, dates, yacon syrup, agave nectar, etc. These alternatives help to stay away from the health problems caused due to high sugar intake. Also, these have made it possible for sugar lovers to enjoy sweets and savories of their choice without any worries.