Diabetes is a leading cause of death on the planet, and its exponential rise poses a tremendous threat to humanity. There have been many scientific discoveries and findings for the treatment of diabetes.
Recent Advancements In Diabetes Treatment
In this article, the latest advancements in the treatment of diabetes will be discussed.
So, if you have lost all your vigor after being diabetic, find the solution for all your problems here.
Diabetes Treatment- Scientific Breakthroughs
Continuous glucose monitors (CGMs)– These devices use a small sensor placed under the skin to check the glucose level in the fluid between cells every few minutes and pass on the data wirelessly to a device or your smartphone. They require only a small drop of blood to test the glucose levels.
Insulin pumps- A pump is an option for self-injection if you have type 2 diabetes and need to inject insulin numerous times a day. This device can be carried anywhere. It can be kept in the pocket, attached to a belt, and so on.
CGM-insulin pumps that are connected– A combination CGM-insulin pump is another option, which allows the pump to use data from the CGM to propose medication dose changes or make necessary changes on its own.
Medications– Although insulin is widely used, according to ADA (American Diabetes Association) new medications available can be more effective in treating diabetes.
Some of the medications used include:
- Metformin is a medication that reduces the absorption of glucose and also the production of insulin in the liver.
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists (GLP-1 RAs)- These are injected into your body to control blood sugar levels and appetite.
- Glitazones, or thiazolidinediones, are oral drugs that assist your body’s tissues become more insulin-sensitive.
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors are oral drugs that restrict the kidneys from absorbing glucose, lowering blood sugar levels.
- DPP-4 inhibitors, also known as gliptins, are oral pills that aid in the management of diabetes by increasing insulin production, slowing down the process of digestion, and decreasing hunger, all of which can aid in weight loss.
- Meglitinides help in the production of insulin during mealtime.
- Sulfonylureas improve the functioning of the pancreas leading to the efficient release of insulin.
- There are also combination therapies that are available to be taken orally as well as with injections.
Use of insulin– Many innovations are coming in the use of insulin such as various formulas and are also given through syringes, pens, and pumps.
Glucagon– Glucagon injections have been available for around 2 decades. But the invention of glucagon inhalers has made it even easier for people to treat their illnesses.
Some Therapeutic Approaches
- Nanotechnology– A nanomedical device is a microcapsule with pores that has shown to be a potential method in drug delivery. These holes are large enough to let small molecules like oxygen, glucose, and insulin pass through, but small enough to allow larger immune system molecules like immunoglobulins and graft-borne virus particles to pass through. This strategy has enhanced the method of measuring glucose levels and insulin delivery.
- Statin therapy– This therapy helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular issues in people with type 2 diabetes. Statins are inhibitors of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A, which block the essential process of LDL cholesterol in the liver, lowering blood cholesterol levels while also improving blood vessel lining health.
- Stem cell technology– Because of its immunosuppressive character, mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) therapy has emerged as a viable therapy in the treatment of type 1 diabetes.
Other therapies include gene therapy and medical nutrition therapy.
Diabetes is a chronic disease of global concern and several beneficial treatments are coming up in treating diabetes. There are oral medications, widely-used insulin innovations, therapeutic technologies such as nanotechnology, statin therapy, and much more. Taking proper treatment at the right time can prevent the severity of the disease. So, take action today itself and live a satisfied and healthy life.